Dinosaurs have been extinct for millions of years, but they remain a dominant part of culture today. Dinosaur toys, costumes, decorations – the memories surrounding these fierce yet intriguing creatures know no bounds. Dinosaur movies, in particular, are all the rage these days and are known to appeal not only to adults but to kids as well. Sure, it would be terrifying to encounter one of these deadly dinos in real life, but from the safety of our couches, watching them all go wild is a heartbreaking delight (not for the people they gobble up, of course). .
However, just like the dinosaurs themselves, some dinosaur movies can be more violent than others. In fact, depending on what you’re most comfortable with, there are a few movies you might not want your kids to watch until they reach a certain age. After all, many ’90s kids lived in irrational fear of being abducted from public restrooms by a t-rex, like that hapless lawyer in the original. jurassic park. If you decide to wait a few more years for these, that’s completely fine and up to each parent’s discretion. However, it might be useful to know what sort of selection there is in case any dinosaur-obsessed kids want to have a movie night in the near future.
Luckily, there are plenty of great options out there if you know where to look. So without further ado, here are all the dinosaur movies your kids will love.
Classic Dinosaur Movies for Kids to Spot First
1. The land before time (1988)
Chances are there will be plenty of tears (from kids and adults alike) as you watch, thanks in large part to that heartbreaking scene between Littlefoot and his mother, but don’t let that put you off this timeless classic. about family, friendship, bravery and the power that comes with self-confidence. You’ll find yourself rooted for Littlefoot’s journey through the Great Valley every step of the way.
2. The good dinosaur (2015)
Let’s be honest, it’s unlikely that dinosaurs and humans could ever co-exist, let alone be friends. Yet the feel-good animated movie The Good Dinosaur lets us experience that possibility through Spot and Arlo’s unlikely friendship. The story will kick your ass and keep your child asking for a pet dinosaur.
3. Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)
Of course, science claims that the Earth’s core is made of hot iron and nickel. What if it wasn’t? What if, in reality, there was another world that existed inside of this one? That’s precisely what Trevor Anderson (Brendan Fraser) and his nephew Sean (Josh Hutcherson) set out to find in this latest adaptation of Jules Verne’s famous 1864 novel. Dinosaurs aren’t the only dangerous creatures to watch out for. worry in this fantastical underworld, but it’s still prominent enough to qualify as a dino movie. In the end, you’ll be thankful these things are long gone. (Where are they?!?!?)
4. jurassic park (1993)
For some, this franchise as a whole might be a tough choice since all of the jurassic park the films are rated PG-13. Does that mean you have to wait until your child is 13 to watch it? No, but if that’s what you decide to do, that’s entirely up to you. Some parents may think their child can handle these movies sooner than that and not find them too scary, while others may feel differently. No one knows your child better than you, so it’s entirely your choice. But when the time comes, it’s sure to be on your child’s list of favorite movies. Hold on to your buttocks!
5. We are back! The story of a dinosaur (1993)
If you think your child might be a little too young for Jurassic Park but would still love a storyline about dinosaurs returning to modern times, this animated adventure should be the perfect compromise. It has action. He has heart. And lots of ginormous, razor-sharp teeth for everyone.
Even more choices for your future paleontologist
- The Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs (2009)
- The Land Before Time II: The Great Valley Adventure (1994)
- The Land Before Time II: The Time of the Great Gift (1995)
- The Land Before Time IV: Journey Through the Mists (1996)
- The Land Before Time V: The Mysterious Island (1997)
- The Land Before Time VI: The Secret of Saurus Rock (1998)
- The Land Before Time VII: The Cold Fire Stone (2000)
- The Land Before Time VIII: The Great Freeze (2001)
- The Land Before Time IX: Journey to Big Water (2002)
- The Land Before Time X: Longneck’s Great Migration (2003)
- The Land Before Time XI: The Tinysaurus Invasion (2005)
- The Land Before Time XII: The Flyers’ Big Day (2006)
- The Land Before Time XIII: The Wisdom of Friends (2007)
- The Land Before Time XIV: Journey of the Brave (2016)
- Dinosaur (2000)
- Night at the museum (2006)
- jurassic world (2015)
- Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018)
- The Lost World: Jurassic Park (1997)
- Jurassic Park 3 (2001)
- Prehysteria (1993)
- Meet the Robinsons (2007)
- The Flintstones (1994)
- Bob the Builder: The Great Dinosaur Excavation (2011)