Back in September, T-Mobile introduced a way for potential customers to try their national network for free for 3 months. This week, Verizon is launching a similar effort. The main difference is that Verizon has to be quite confident in what it offers because potential customers will only get 30 days of free usenot 3 months like the T-Mobile offer.
If you have a compatible device, you’ll simply download the My Verizon app via a QR code from Verizon’s site and then go through the setup process. All of this is made possible by the wonderful world of eSIMs.
Once enrolled in Test Drive, customers can use Verizon’s full network (5G Ultra Wideband, 5G Nationwide, etc.), unlimited calls and texts, up to 100 GB of 4G/5G data, plus assurance that Test Drive is not working. It doesn’t cost a penny and no credit check is required. You can use it and keep it or use it and forget it. Completely up to you.
Below you can read the requirements for Test Drive. Pretty simple stuff. As for compatible phones, look here. To make your life easier, I can tell you. Essentially all new Pixel and Samsung Galaxy devices, as well as iPhone devices, are supported.
Verizon Test Drive Requirements:
- Your phone must be unlocked with your current carrier
- You cannot have been a Verizon customer within the past year or used the phone you are testing driving with on Verizon within the past year
- You don’t need to give Verizon any credit card information
- You must register via the QR code found on the FAQ page (here)
- Your phone must be one of the eligible phones on the FAQ page (here)
- This is an early access program and Verizon is improving the experience in real time as they receive feedback
As mentioned above, this program is still in its early stages, so if you run into any issues, don’t be shocked. Your existing mobile plan, on the other hand, remains fully intact, so if you run into any issues, just switch back to your other SIM card in your phone’s settings.